Baptism By Fire for Port Lincoln Mitre 10 Store
Only five weeks after opening, the new Mitre 10 Solutions store in Port Lincoln, South Australia, was one of many businesses caught up in last month’s horror bush fires on the Eyre Peninsula. The fire came to within three kms of the town but fortunately, a change of wind direction saved the store. The fire caused $50 million worth of property damage in the area and killed 30,000 sheep. While none of the staff at Mitre 10 was directly touched by the tragedy, store owner, Peter Green, said the fires have had a devastating affect on the entire community. “The fires have been extremely disturbing for the local community,” he said. “I lost 75 acres of my olive grove which included 3,300 trees, sheds, equipment, and 60 kms of irrigation. The number of livestock killed was also extremely distressing.” The store is now doing everything it can to help the victims. Immediately after the fires, Peter donated ten generators to local people and established a ‘Fire Trust’ account which can be accessed by those affected by the fires. “Of course, demand was high for things such as rakes, shovels, wheelbarrows, dusk masks etc and we sold out of many of those lines,” Peter said. “More recently, we’ve had to cope with increased demand in timber supplies and tools as the rebuilding process gets going.” Peter, and his wife, Ros, who have been in the hardware business in Port Lincoln for 15 years, constructed the purpose-built, 3,000 sq m store on a 6,000 sq m block – a marked improvement on what used to be a 1,400-square-metre site on 105-year-old premises.